Sr. Failure Analysis Engineer
Company: Semtech Corporation
Posted on: June 6, 2021
Location: Camarillo, CA
Semtech's Failure Analysis team is a group of passionate and
talented engineers tasked to analyze complex analog and mixed
signal IC failures, determine the mechanism and physics behind
product failures, and provide valuable technical recommendations to
prevent recurrence of failures at Semtech's manufacturing line and
end customer. We do this by having extensive training on
semiconductor FA methodologies and techniques, using state-of-the
art FA laboratory equipment, and partnering with cross-functional
The Senior Failure Analysis Engineer is primarily be tasked with
performing electrical testing and fault isolation on field returns,
qualification failures, low yield failures, and new product
development on a variety of mixed signal Analog and CMOS products.
This position will support our internal customers, specifically the
Reliability Design/Development Teams, and our external customers
through the Return Material Authorization process (RMA). The
assigned tasks will be diverse and complex in nature, which
requires exceptional organization skills and high attention to
- Performing preliminary failure analysis steps such as: external
visual examination, scanning acoustic microscopy, radiographic
examination, ATE and/or bench testing, etc.
- Perform ATE and Bench electrical testing and interpret ATE data
logs to aid in localizing electrical failures.
- Perform integrated circuit fault isolation to identify failure
mechanism(s) utilizing schematics, layout files, IC design
analysis, Focused Ion Beam (FIB) pad deposition for microprobing,
device characterization, Photon Emission Microscopy (PEM), LASER
fault stimulation (OBIRCH) and IR Thermal Emission.
- Collaborate with designers and engineering groups to isolate
root cause of failures.
- Generate detailed reports for both internal and external
- Develop, characterize, and optimize FA techniques and tools to
advance FA capabilities and efficiency.
- Mentor other engineers/technicians in fault isolation and
electrical techniques as needed.
- 5 years of experience in failure analysis engineering, product
engineering, characterization engineering, or design
- Analog/Mixed Signal Experience
- Bachelor's degree in Electrical Engineering
- Ability to partner in a team environment - sharing thoughts and
supporting one another
- In order to perform the job successfully, an individual should
demonstrate the following competencies:
- Critical Thinking: Skilled at finding flaws in arguments and
plans; provides detailed insight into problems and complex
- Working with unknowns: Achieves forward progress in the face of
poorly defined situations and/or unclear goals; ability to
communicate effectively to gather further details regarding the
assignments to work more effectively.
- Prioritizing and Organizing Work: Allocates time and attention
based on what is the most important to achieve key goals;
approaches work in an organized and systematic manner; effectively
manages tasks, information, and requests
- Displaying Technical Expertise: Keeps their technical skills
current; effectively applies specialized knowledge and skills to
perform work tasks; understands and masters the technical skills,
knowledge, and tasks associated with their job; shares technical
expertise with others
- Evaluating and implementing Ideas: Defines requirements and
resources needed to implement new ideas; approaches innovation with
a practical, task-oriented mindset; converts ideas from general
concepts into actionable plans
- Strong desire to increase one's depth and breadth in the
- "Can do" attitude.
- Focused on continuous improvement
This job operates in a professional office environment and
requires the Engineer to be on-premises in our Camarillo, CA
Career Growth Philosophy:
At Semtech, we seek innovation and leadership from each and
every member of our team. Our goal is to ensure that our talented
professionals are equipped with support, resources, and the
opportunity to excel. Our pay-for-performance philosophy provides
recognition and prestige coupled with a competitive compensation
The intent of this job description is to describe the major
duties and responsibilities performed by incumbents of this job.
Incumbents may be required to perform job-related tasks other than
those specifically included in this description.
All duties and responsibilities are essential job functions and
requirements and are subjected to possible modification to
reasonably accommodate individuals with disabilities.
We are proud to be an EEO employer M/F/D/V. We maintain a
Keywords: Semtech Corporation, Camarillo , Sr. Failure Analysis Engineer, Other , Camarillo, California
Didn't find what you're looking for? Search again!